Working with the Traffic Commissioners
Traffic Commissioners remain independent of the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), as they are of the Department for Transport. VOSA works with the Traffic Commissioners to:
- improve road safety and the environment and safeguard fair competition by promoting and enforcing compliance with commercial operator licensing requirements;
- Processing applications for licences to operate lorries and buses;
- Registering bus services;
- Operating and administering testing schemes for all vehicles, including the supervision of the MOT Testing Scheme;
- Enforcing the law on vehicles to ensure that they comply with legal standards and regulations;
- Enforcing drivers’ hours and licensing requirements;
- Providing training and advice for commercial operators; and
- Investigating vehicle accidents, defects and recalls.
More information on the Traffic Commissioners’ can be found on the Department for Transport website.