Last update: 28/07/2009 16:26:20
The primary aim of this research is to understand the role of travel in the aspirations and experiences of young people between the ages of 16 and 25. In order to achieve this, the research will consult young people about their:
1) Current and previous transport needs;
2) Use of transport and how this has changed over time;
3) Choices and decisions around transport use; and the factors that are influential;
4) Reflections on how their travel needs and choices have changed; and for those who have left the parental home the impact this has had on them;
5) Views and experiences of using different forms of transport - both currently and previously;
6) Motivations and barriers for using particular forms of transport;
7) Views about the role that transport and mobility has had on their aspirations, career and life choices; and the impact it is likely to have in the future;
8) Suggestions for how to meet the transport needs of young people aged 16-25
The proposed work is a qualitative study to understand the role that transport plays in the lives of young adults aged 16 to 25.
This research will explore the travel aspirations, needs and behaviour(s) of young people. It will explore the role of transport as young people make the transition from childhood to adulthood and the key trigger points at which their travel needs change.
The research is cross-cutting and so findings will feed into a range of policy/analytical needs including futures work (forecasting future travel behaviour and demand), sustainable travel (identifying the points at which young adult's travel needs change and the trigger points for influencing travel behaviour), social exclusion (identifying any transport barriers that young adults face to accessing key services) and assisting the interpretation of economic modelling outputs and helping to advise on distributional impacts of transport policy relating to young adults.
National Centre for Social Research
35 Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0AX
Cost to the Department: £109,000.00
Actual start date: 23 March 2006
Actual completion date: 01 July 2007
Understanding the travel aspirations, needs and behaviour of young adults
Author: National Centre for Social Research
Publication date: 01/11/2007
Source: DfT Website
More information: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/scienceresearch/social/youngaspirations