Last update: 22/03/2007 15:12:19
This project will be used to add to the knowledge pool and inform policy decisions on approriate requirements for M1, M2 and M3 vehicles with respect to the transportation of children whilst remaining seated in their wheelchairs. The results will be used to advise on the need and requirements of national construction regulations, and in international discussions on the development of ISO standards, UNECE Regulations and EC Directives.
It is anticipated that the proposed research programme will involve data gathering, modelling techniques and physical sled testing. The work will cover the following aspecxts as a minimum:
* Manual and electric wheelchairs in general use.
* Consider aspects of transportation in M1, M2 and M3 vehicles.
* Forward and rearward facing
* A range of child dummy sizes
* Develop proposals based on amendements to current standards/regulations to minimise the risk to child wheelchair users.
* Validation of these proposals.
Crowthorne House, Nine Mile Ride, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 3GA
+44 (0)1344 773131
Cost to the Department: £227,029.00
Actual start date: 04 April 2006
Expected completion date: 28 February 2008