Project: Small Fleet Performance Management Tool
Last update: 20/06/2005 11:21:32
1. To identify the operational key performance indicators to be measured by small own account and hire/reward operators.
2. To develop a range of tools (in the form of computer software spreadsheet packages) to enable smaller operators to measure these operational indicators.
3. To provide comprehensive guidance on the use of the software tools.
4. To suggest measures which could help smaller operators improve their operational efficiency.
1. Review the variety of operational key performance indicators potentially suitable for measurement by smaller operators.
2. Identify (with justification) the most appropriate operational key performance indicators to be measured by smaller operators. These should be identified both in light of those KPIs promoted by TransportEnergy BestPractice in its previous KPI work (Vehicle Fill, Empty Running, Time Utilisation, Deviations from Schedule and Fuel Consumption) and by taking into account specific operational issues relevant to smaller operations.
3. Develop a range of tools (in the form of computer software spreadsheet packages) to enable smaller operators to collect their own data on the identified KPIs and thus enabling them to measure their own operational performance.
4. Develop comprehensive guidance for smaller operators on how to use the spreadsheet tools to gather data on their own operational performance.
5. Develop a draft Toolkit (in the form of a draft Good Practice Guide with accompanying software on disk) introducing the concept of performance benchmarking, explaining the key performance indicators to be measured, clarifying step-by-step how smaller operators should use the accompanying spreadsheet tools and outlining (for each of the key performance indicators to be measured) ways in which operators could potentially improve their operational efficiency. (These recommendations on measures to be implemented to improve efficiency should refer extensively to issues covered in existing TransportEnergy BestPractice publications).
AEA Technology Environment
Harwell Business Centre, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0QJ
+44 (0)1235 432201
Cost to the Department: £50,000.00
Actual start date: 05 January 2004
Actual completion date: 31 March 2005
Small Fleet Performance Management Tool
Author: TransportEnergy Bestpractice
Publication date: 30/03/2005
Source: TransportEnergy BestPractice
More information: http://www.transportenergy.org.uk/downloads/Small%20Fleet%20Performance%20Management%20Tool.zip
Summary of results
- The KPIs included in the tool are:
- Average cost per unit delivered (£) Average cost of delivering a specified unit (e.g. a pallet or tonne of goods).
- Total whole vehicle cost (pence per mile) Total cost of your fleet per mile. Made up of running, standing and driver costs.
- Average running cost (pence per mile) Average cost of running your fleet per mile. These are the costs incurred for running the vehicles
(fuel, tyres and maintenance).
- Average standing cost (pence per mile) Average standing cost for your fleet. Standing costs are those incurred whether or not the vehicle is running - depreciation of the vehicle, road fund licence (vehicle excise duty), operator licence fees and insurance.
- Average driver cost (pence per mile) Average cost of drivers' wages per mile.
- Total maintenance cost (pence per mile) Total cost of maintaining the fleet per mile.
- Total maintenance cost (£'000) Total cost of maintaining the fleet.
- Average miles per gallon Average fuel consumption rate for your fleet.
- Total miles run ('000s) Total number of miles run by your fleet.
- Total empty miles run ('000s) Total number of miles run by your fleet without a payload.
- Percentage empty running total Percentage of distance run by your fleet without a payload.
- Average vehicle fill This calculates the percentage of actual load carried against the potential capacity of the vehicle fleet.
- Average time utilisation This calculates the percentage of time that the vehicle fleet was actually in use against the potential
- Percentage of late deliveries total Percentage of late deliveries made by your fleet.
- Percentage of damages total Percentage of deliveries made by your fleet where the goods were either missing or damaged.
- Percentage of complaints total Percentage of deliveries made by your fleet that resulted in a complaint of any nature.
- Total number of overloads Total number of overloads in the fleet.
- Total number of vehicle traffic infringements Total number of traffic infringements in the fleet.
- Total number of drivers' hours infringements Total number of drivers' hours infringements in the fleet.
- Total number of traffic accidents Total number of traffic accidents in the fleet.
- Percentage of failed inspections total Percentage of failed or overdue safety inspections for your fleet.
- Percentage of defects rectified in 24 hours total Percentage of vehicle defects reported by drivers that are rectified within 24 hours.