Press Notice No: 105-12
Friday, August 10, 2012
Posted 15:38 GMT
UK SHIP REGISTER OBTAINS US COASTGUARD QUALSHIP21 AWARD
The UK Ship Register has been recognised by the United States Coast Guard (USCG) for their excellent Port State Control record, listing them as one of the few shipping flag administrations to retain the prestigious Qualship 21 for 2012-13.
This award means that ships registered to the UK will not be targeted for inspection by American Port State Control inspectors.
Head of the UK Ship Register Debasis Mazumdar said:
Thanks to the high standards applied by the MCAs Marine Surveyors, ships registered in the UK will not be targeted for surprise inspection by American Port State Control inspectors. This will give continued support and a commercial advantage to the ships registered to us.
Qualship 21 is a demanding quality standard for shipping set by the United States Coastguard. This is a great achievement for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and shows the high quality of ships registered to us.
Notes to Editors:
Qualship 21 is the USCGs matrix system of extending recognition to foreign ships, which demonstrate an excellent safety and pollution prevention record. Ships in the Qualship 21 system are required to undergo significantly less Port State Control inspections by the USCG whilst in US waters.
In order to qualify:
1. the Flag State or Registry must have less than a 1% detention ratio in the US over a three-year rolling average.
2. the Flag State must have completed or planned to take part in the IMO Voluntary Member State Audit Scheme (VMSAS).
3. the Flag State must have submitted its Self-Assessment Questionnaire to the International Maritime Organisation.
4. no detentions of or violations by the vessel in US waters within the previous 36 months.
5. the vessel must have completed a successful USCG Port State Control inspection within the previous 12 months.
6. the shipping company must have a detention-free fleet in US waters for the past 24 months.
7. the vessel must be classed with a non-targeted classification society.
Posted By: Maggie Hill
For further details contact:
The Maritime & Coastguard Agency Press Office
023 8032 9401