Everyone in the MCA is committed to excellent customer service. We do our best to meet the following delivery standards:
We will act promptly and appropriately when alerted to a maritime emergency.
• In 98% of cases, we will answer 999 telephone calls and maritime distress signals within 10 seconds in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Emergency Call Service.
• When a volunteer Coastguard Rescue Team is alerted, the team members will get to their Rescue Station as soon as they can. Once the Rescue Team is ready to proceed from its Station, it will arrive at the scene of an incident within 30 minutes in 90% of cases.
• In 98% of incidents, within five minutes of being alerted about an incident we will take a decision on the appropriate search and rescue response and initiate action if necessary.
We will process applications for seafarer documents and certificates quickly.
• In 95% of cases, we will assess your eligibility to sit an exam within 20 working days.
• In 95% of cases, we will issue your Certificate of Competency (COC) within 10 working days.
• In 95% of cases, we will issue your revalidated Certificate of Competency within 10 working days.
• In 90% of cases, we will assess your Certificate of Equivalent Competency (CEC) application and issue the Confirmation of Receipt of Application (CRA) within 10 working days.
We will process ship-related certificates, surveys and inspections quickly.
• In 95% of cases, we will issue your survey or audit certificate within 10 working days of completion of a satisfactory survey.
• In 90% of cases, we will complete your plan approval within 20 working days.
• In 95% of cases, on receipt of the signed carving and marking note, we will issue your registration certificate within 5 working days (for merchant ships, pleasure vessels, fishing vessels and bareboat charter ships).
• In 95% of cases, we will issue your registration certificates within 10 working days (for small ships – under 24 metres).
General information is available from our website and our Infoline at anytime: