Clarify responsibilities for customers
During 2012-13 DVLA will continue to work in partnership with other organisations to influence and prompt customers to meet their legal requirement, to renew and update their driver and vehicle details.
We will provide greater direct online access for customers to their personal data and encourage customers (after robust authentication), to fulfil their responsibilities directly by maintaining their own appropriate details.
Compliance and enforcement
The Agency will continue to focus on facilitating compliance through cross checking information held with data partners taking enforcement action when necessary.
During 2012-13 we will:
- check the vehicle record monthly against the Motor Insurance Bureau database to identify uninsured vehicles
- enforce continuous insurance offences identified from the motor insurance database and vehicle record
- increase the number of prosecutions taken to court for insurance evasion to be reinforced by the wheelclamping of vehicles detected ‘on-road’
- reduce the insurance evasion rate during the year to 2.65 per cent (which represents 860,00 vehicles)
- wheelclamp untaxed vehicles under a new self-funding contract
- bring forward the production of the late licensing penalty letter to six weeks and transfer cases at an earlier stage for debt collection
- require less frequent Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) and stop issuing the SORN reminder.