Comptroller and Auditor General Audit Report - Trust Statement
Audit Report of the Comptroller and Auditor General to the House of Commons
I have audited the financial statements which constitute the Trust Statement of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency for the year ended 31 March 2012 under the Exchequer and Audit Departments Act 1921. The financial statements comprise the Statement of Revenue, Other Income and Expenditure, the Statement of Financial Position, the Statement of Cash Flows and the related notes. These financial statements have been prepared under the accounting policies set out within them.
Respective responsibilities of the Accounting Officer and auditor
As explained more fully in the Statement of Accounting Officer’s Responsibilities, the Chief Executive as Accounting Officer is responsible for the preparation of the financial statements and for being satisfied that they give a true and fair view. My responsibility is to audit and report on the financial statements in accordance with the Exchequer and Audit Departments Act 1921. I conducted my audit in accordance with International Standards on Auditing (UK and Ireland). Those standards require me and my staff to comply with the Auditing Practices Board’s Ethical Standards for Auditors.
Scope of the audit of the financial statements
An audit involves obtaining evidence about the amounts and disclosures in the financial statements sufficient to give reasonable assurance that the financial statements are free from material misstatement, whether caused by fraud or error. This includes an assessment of: whether the accounting policies are appropriate to the circumstances of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency and have been consistently applied and adequately disclosed; the reasonableness of significant accounting estimates made by the Accounting Officer; and the overall presentation of the financial statements. In addition I read all the financial and non-financial information in the Annual Report to identify material inconsistencies with the audited financial statements. If I become aware of any apparent material misstatements or inconsistencies I consider the implications for my certificate.
I am required to obtain evidence sufficient to give reasonable assurance that the expenditure and income recorded in the financial statements have been applied to the purposes intended by Parliament and the financial transactions recorded in the financial statements conform to the authorities which govern them.
Opinion on regularity
In my opinion, in all material respects the expenditure and income recorded in the financial statements have been applied to the purposes intended by Parliament and the financial transactions recorded in the financial statements conform to the authorities which govern them.
Opinion on financial statements
In my opinion:
- the Trust Statement gives a true and fair view of the state of affairs as at 31 March 2012 relating to the collection and allocation of taxes, licence fees, fines and penalties and the net revenue for the year then ended; and
- the financial statements have been properly prepared in accordance with the Exchequer and Audit Departments Act 1921 and HM Treasury directions issued thereunder.
Opinion on other matters
In my opinion:
- the information given in the Directors Report and the Management Commentary included within the annual report for the financial year for which the financial statements are prepared is consistent with the financial statements.
Matters on which I report by exception
I have nothing to report in respect of the following matters which I report to you if, in my opinion:
- adequate accounting records have not been kept or returns adequate for my audit have not been received from branches not visited by my staff; or
- the financial statements are not in agreement with the accounting records and returns; or
- I have not received all of the information and explanations I require for my audit; or
- the Governance Statement does not reflect compliance with HM Treasury’s guidance.
- Annual Report & Accounts 2011-12
- Annual Report 2011-12
- Annual accounts 2011-12
- Director's report
- Management commentary
- Remuneration report
- Business Accounts
- Trust Statement